Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Monday, October 25, 2010
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Thursday, October 7, 2010
I just read an article from Good Housekeeping about Jamie Lee Curtis and her epic house organizing/cleaning, and you so the same here. One of the highlights of visiting my parents house is reading Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and Gardens, and More. Do I have the tendencies of a 45 year old woman? Yes. But along with those classic magazines, I also love more modern forms of home inspiration, like Young House Love, or Apartment Therapy. That makes me not quite middle age, right? Right?
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Friday, September 24, 2010
Saturday, July 10, 2010
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Thursday, June 10, 2010
Monday, June 7, 2010
So I went on vacation three weeks ago, and it was fantastic! I went to Washington DC to see my little sister graduate from college, and soon my brother will be graduating from high school! Woot for them! The picture above is me looking cool in front of the White House. That was the day I rocked the Austrian Maverick look:)
This epic picture is of my room mates and I at the Shamrock Run. Did I mention that one of my room mates is in a pipe band? Oh yeah.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Monday, May 24, 2010
Monday, May 17, 2010
Monday, May 3, 2010
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Friday, April 16, 2010
Friday, April 2, 2010
- My new shoes. Asics, GT2150 Trail Running shoes, grey and green. They hug my feet, comfort me, keep my feet stable, and are actually made for running, unlike the cross-training shoes I ran in for 3 months. And I got them 40% off! They made my 4.2 mile run today delightful...even though it was windy...and raining....and I was gassy....too much?
- My food journal that now has room for emotional bullet points. You would think I would be fantastic at keeping a journal, what with me blogging and majoring in english/writing, but alas, I am not. So bullet points are my attempt. And it's working. I'm regaining focus, and getting to sleep faster! Woot for sleep!
- Fruits and Vegetables! I stocked up at the store this week, no skimping. I would rather have fruit at hand for snacking than other stuff, and I can add frozen veggies to pretty much anything.
- Odwalla SUPERFOOD drink. It's green, tastes pretty nummy, and makes me feel healthy at the beginning of the day.
- Books. I know this doesn;t have to do with weight-loss, but I love books and reading. And yesterday (my first day off from both jobs in 10 days), I read something that resonated with me. I'm rereading it, and making notes, and then I will share it with you all.
- This video. I smile every time. Every time.
Monday, March 29, 2010
- Food journal every night. Really, not that difficult.
- Emotion/event journal every night below food list. Nothing huge, just a recap of the day and a chance to write out a few bullet points on my mind. I think this will help me regain my focus.
- Figure out a plan for food. I haven't been doing great shopping recently. I run out of food faster than I see coming, and then I end up grabbing things to eat...which doesn't always end well. I have a good handle on breakfast, so I think the next step is lunch. It's time to figure out what I can make easily, that is healthy, and that will truly fuel me for work. What do you do for healthy lunches?
- I am thinking of running a 10k or a half marathon this summer. BAM! That's right, I wrote half marathon. Betcha didn't see that coming! I haven't decided which one yet, but either one will push me. The only reason I am even considering a half is because I would be fine with walking 1-2 miles of it. If I did the 10k this summer, I would want to run the whole thing. I am holding off on deciding which one I will do for a at least 2 weeks, so I can see where I am physically.
- I'm going to put a goal out there. Here it is. I would like to weigh 175 by June 1st. That's 9lbs in about 8 weeks. I think I need to do a jump start again, focus on resistance, running, and proper fueling of the body. Also, I miss feeling like a sexy beast:)
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
My heart is broken. Shattered. My feet cannot find their groove. I've got the rhythm of the world inside me, and nowhere to let it out. Remember last Wednesday? I was pumped about a certain hip-hop class?
- I don't eat out a lot. So it makes sense that I spend more on groceries because I am making most of my food. The budgets balance out.
- I buy good healthy food. It's worth the money I spend to have yummy food that is good for me. If the alternative is ramen every day, I'm happy to spend.
- I am saving money in the long run. If I was eating really un-healthily/out a lot, my health problems would be bigger in the future....as would my medical bills.
Thursday, March 4, 2010
I want to apologize for not giving y'all more photos to gander at. I don't know if I have shared this, but I don't have a camera. I basically break all technology around me, and so the fact that I have a computer that is still functioning after 5 months with me, is FANTASTIC. So I put a little pic at the top for you to enjoy. It's my brother, sister and I at the beach over Valentine's day...aren't we cute?! (yes)
Monday, March 1, 2010
It's Monday. I have a balance of really great and slightly sucky in my life at this moment. And this is a moment where I'm letting the slightly sucky dominate. I'm cranky and sore, and I want my life to be a BBC Jane Austen mini-series. Where is my Mr.Tilney?
Monday, February 22, 2010
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
- Planned Exercise. In training for my 5k, I have committed to running 3 times a week. This is non-negotiable. In addition to those runs, I am doing 2 resistance/weights workouts a week. I'm not going to pay for a membership to 24hour fitness unless I am using it. My life was missing resistance training, but it's back, and I am excited about getting stronger! And I get to choose a random activity 1 day a week! This could be dancing, or going on a hike, or....well...I don't know. But I am going to try a hip-hop class soon, and at some point I will try pilates:) So to recap: 3 days of running, 2 days of weights/resistance, 1 whatever, and 1 day of rest. The routine really helps me focus, and I can see the results!
- Using the 80% rule of eating. To me, this means I eat really healthy and moderately at least 80% of the time. I shoot for all the time, but I just can't deny myself all the tastey pleasures this world has to offer. Like the Twix I had tonight at the movies. I had one stick during the previews, and one when I started writing this post. Sure it's not great for me, but I like it, and I'm not having another one for probably another 4 months. This idea of 80% also helps me get back on track after slip-ups. Instead of being discouraged after eating something not-so-great, I move onto making better choices for the rest of the day. Less guilt, more fun...and pounds lost!
Friday, February 12, 2010
Sunday, February 7, 2010
- Resistance training for the whole body twice a week. No excuses. Sweat must happen.
- Push-ups. 20 one Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
- Stretch more. I think I'm going to move the coffee table aside as I watch 30 Rock and stretch it out on the carpet. I might as well move and become more flexible as I watch hilarious Tina Fey!
Monday, February 1, 2010
Friday, January 29, 2010
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
I didn’t join 24hour Fitness. And I didn’t weigh myself today. But....
It’s my BIRTHDAY!
I am officially 23 years old. And I think it’s going to be a great year for me. I have a place in the city, good friends nearby, jobs that pay, and a body that can hike up mini-mountains, run 3 miles(okay, walk and run 3 miles) and go on long walks at the beach...let me prove it to you:
(jumping on the mountain!)
(we ran to a bakery...and picked up some buns for dinner...this is me showing mine off:)
I had to talk myself into joining 24hour a little more. Money is tight right now, and so I am stressing out about "extraneous expenses." But it's only $18 a month, and if I want to stop the membership after a month, I can. And I need some classes and weights.
HOLY GOODNESS IT'S ALMOST FEBRUARY!!
I did not see that coming! Soon and very soon, I will be starting to train for the Shamrock Run, my 5k in Mid-March. Right now I'm just randomly running around Portland, getting to know the city better, but when I start training I will be a little more disciplined about distance and length of runs.
Then I'll be ready for a marathon....just kidding! Yeah, not running more than 20 miles. It goes against my religion:)
My roomie and I had our families over for dinner tonight, and I found myself saying that the secret to my success is "eat less, move more." Doesn't that sound simple? It is infuriatingly not so. It is difficult sometimes and stressful and makes me feel vulnerable and scared, but it is something I do for myself. Not for the approval of others, not for society, but for me.
Thanks for reading my ramblings. Stayed tuned in for more frequent updates.
Friday, January 22, 2010
- I need to weigh-in. Every week, on the same scale. And I don't own one...and don't really want to own one either.
- I need the weights. I can do some workouts at home, but it's great to have all the machines accessible.
- If it's truly awful weather, I can run inside.
- It makes sense to invest money into my health. And if I use the gym 3 times a week, it's only $2per visit.
- Mapquest says the nearest 24 is 3 minutes away. Come on.
- Some of my friends work out at 24, so I would have some motivation from them to work-out!
- Classes can be really fun!
- And I haven't tried Zumba yet!
- I can always cancel it during the summer if I want to spend more time outside.
- Because I am worth a gym membership.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Hi. It’s been a while. Which might be sad for my waist line....but I'm pretty happy. You see, I have been commuting to both of my odd-houred jobs 6 days a week for the past few months...and when I say commuting, I mean 18 miles...one way. Suckface.
But you are now reading the words of an apartment inhabiter in one of the best cities ever, Portland! Woot woot! I am less than 4 miles away from both jobs, I will be living with two of the coolest people in my life, and I finally have a use for those Moroccan carpets I was sold in Fez....long story....that makes me look bad...I am such a pushover...nope, moving on:)
The last few days have been hectic as I pack, find furniture, change addresses, and stress about life changing.
Because, as we all know, even good change can be a little scary. I am ready to leave my parent's house(again), I need to be closer to work, I love the city and the people, but...
What I can't afford to pay my student loans now that I have rent and groceries? What if I suck at buying and cooking myself healthy food? (I've lived on my own before, just not while eating healthy) What if my hours get cut at work and I can’t afford rent?
Do you notice the theme? Money. Yikes. I like having money to do things I want to do, but I hate having to stress about it. So I’m going to create a budget, manage my money, and maybe take that cute accountant who comes into my coffeeshop out for a “money management” date:)
Hmmmm. I was wondering if 194.5lbs was too good to be true. Last night I weighed in and was 196lbs. Which is still awesome! I have lost 48lbs! But it is up from the last weigh-in. My goal is to rock this week and weigh-in at 194.5 again next tuesday(at a new gym no less!)
I won’t be close to my community fitness center after this week, so I am stepping it up and joining a big girls gym...a place I find very intimidating...and dark...but that has good equipment and classes...I’m talking about 24hour Fitness. It’s the Hollister of gyms to me. Dark entrance, I don’t know if I belong, and there is funny smell being pumped out the front:)
But I know I need a gym to go to while it is still winter, so I’m investing the $20 or so a month in my health. Because I deserve it.
I was in a circuit class the other day, and had a realization. I was at a station where you are stepping up on an aerobics step, kicking out your leg, and then repeating. There were two steps to chose from. One was higher off the ground.
That’s the one I chose. And as I was sweating and kicking and wishing for water or a break, I realized how far I have come. I am almost 50lbs lighter than last summer. I can move and push and jump! I can take on the big step, and I should take on the big step. My playing small does not serve the world.
Going for what I want and need, striving for excellence, being happy, joyful, and helpful, that is what serves the world, and myself, best.
It’s mid January. I know we all have goals, resolutions, that are starting to get difficult. Recommit. Find the passion, remember your reasons, and know that you are capable. Ask for help and celebrate every little milestone, every little victory (although maybe not with 5 margaritas and brownies...because celebration throwing up is never fun:)
*title of post inspired by this hilarious skit.
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Sunday, January 10, 2010
--Don't beat yourself up if you "cheat."--
Hey, everyone occasionally has an off day, when, say the desire to eat a few ... okay, 10... chocolate chip cookies gets the better of us. When that happens, says Dr. Oz, don't brow-beat yourself. Instead, "recognize your mistake and recognize what led to your mistake, then get back on track." Some of Dr. Oz's quick and easy suggestions for getting back on the program -- and feeling better about your progress: Take a five-minute walk, toss out a calorie-rich or otherwise unhealthy food you're still holding on to (like the rest of that bag of cookies); write out your meal plan for tomorrow. "Doing something small and easily attainable, keeps you moving in the right direction," he says.
Thursday, January 7, 2010
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you."
My playing small does not serve the world. It is my responsibility to live my life the best and healthiest way I can. I have a fully functioning body that can accomplish amazing feats...if I push myself. If I embrace my potential and fabulousity:)
So here is to a FABULOUS new year, playing big, and knowing when to take half a meal home. Happy 2010:)